The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reporter/Presenter (Sport)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/900558/24322
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Department: BBC Africa
Reports to: Sports Editor, BBC Africa
Business Unit: News - W2020
Grade: Local Terms and Conditions
- We are looking for a reporter to work in a new Africa Sports Unit and to create and present expert, authoritative and entertaining Sports coverage in Nigeria and the surrounding regions.
- The Reporter will be required to report for multi-platform outlets, including TV, online, social media and radio.
- The successful candidate will need to have excellent knowledge of sport in Africa, global sport, particularly the Premiership and Athletics, and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media sports coverage.
- They will deliver content for a weekly Sports TV Show and will be expected to contribute innovative ideas, drive the creative vision and present the content.
- They must demonstrate strong editorial judgement and solid journalistic skills.
- They will be able to write creatively, accurately and succinctly, and understand how to find and generate original and engaging sports stories that can work across all platforms.
- You will be adept at planning and producing video and TV packages, desk top editing, producing graphics, and arranging for guests to appear on our output.
- The job will require ambition, imagination and a large degree of initiative with the high editorial, journalism and production values expected by the BBC.
- High level spoken and written English is essential, and fluency in a Nigerian language is preferable.
- To compile and present engaging content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration to Sports stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on TV, Digital and Radio and to develop treatments of the highest quality and with journalism at the heart.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To work closely with the Africa Sports teams in London, Nairobi and Dakar.
- To have a good working relationship with BBC Sport, other Sports departments within the BBC, all BBC Africa Services, external Sports Organisations and independent production companies.
- To prepare edited material either working in a self-op environment or with a craft editor to produce inserts and packages for the various outlets such as Sports TV features, News bulletins, Online or social.
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and interview them for broadcast.
- A full command of written and spoken English and another African language is preferable.
- To watch provide commentary to live sporting action and identify what is important or useful, in order to tell a story through edited highlights.
- To develop original ideas for digital content and create engaging blogs and vlogs for BBC online sites.
- To adhere to Editorial Guidelines and BBC Industry Codes of Practice and be responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s Health and Safety Regulations.
Skills and Experience:
- Exceptional knowledge of sport, in particular sport that appeals to an African audience and excellent sports contacts.
- Experience of on air reporting and presentation particularly in video to highest standards. Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers.
- Strong digital understanding and awareness.
- Creativity and ideas generation with the ability to think originally and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Excellent spoken and written English and another African language is preferable.
- Ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
- Good team working skills both as a team leader and a team player.
- Proven editorial judgement and the ability to make decisions under tight deadlines Well-developed organisational skills and the ability to maintain a high standard of performance whilst under pressure.
- To alert Editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on-thespot reports.
- An awareness of the latest broadcast technology and the ability to learn new skills. An awareness of budget issues and delivering value for money.
- Knowledge of the African media market and the changing needs of the audience.
- Experience of making sound judgements on matters of editorial sensitivity.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism.
- A thorough knowledge of all the requirements of the BBC Producer Guidelines and Editorial policies.
- Well-developed communication skills and the ability to work well within a team.
- Strive for diversity of contributors, in terms of gender, ethnicity, disability and age.
- Appreciate and demonstrate the BBC Values. Resilience, determination, ambition, energy and enthusiasm. Experience of using a camera to film professionally would be a bonus
- Editorial Judgement - Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s Producer guidelines and Editorial Policy.
- Subject Knowledge - Demonstrates a good knowledge of mainstream sport.
- Develops increasingly useful contacts and sources.
- Decision Making - Is ready and able to take initiative, and make decisions to tight deadlines.
- Planning and Organising - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Analytical Thinking - Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Imagination and Creative Thinking - Translates sports stories and events into high quality content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
- Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Communication -The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing and Persuasion - Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing Relationships and Team Working - Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Highly effective team player; works for the benefit of the whole team.
- Understanding Diversity - Understands and appreciates the uniqueness of self and others.
- Demonstrates, and is committed to improving, understanding of why people react in particular ways.
- Understanding diversity in its widest sense.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC.
- Takes a balanced approach to discussing and taking action on diversity issues.
- Articulates how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
Application Closing Date
20th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online