Shoregate Hotels A reputable hotel in Nigeria, requires the services of:
Job Title: Accountant
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports to: General Manager
- To be responsible for the hotel’s accounting and financial management requirements. Managing the accounting department, procurement function and electronic data processing systems.
- To provide the general manager and unit management team with meaningful and timely information on the status of the hotel’s performance.
- To assist proactively with cost containment, revenue enhancement, profit improvement opportunities and safeguarding of the company’s assets.
- To maintain proper and complete accounting records of the hotel.
- To ensure that the accounts, records and transactions of the hotel are accurate and correct at all times.
Safeguarding of Assets
- To implement all necessary controls to safeguard the assets of the hotel.
- To prepare and interpret the financial statements and reports of the hotel.
- To provide financial information to management as tools for maximizing profits and planning for the future. Reports which should stimulate management action.
Budgets and Forecasts:
- To compile, together with the other executives, budgets and forecasts covering all activities of the hotel.
- To compile treasury/cash flow forecasts for the business.
Controls and Procedures:
- To ensure that the established controls and procedures in respect of the controller’s areas of responsibility are being complied with at all times.
Electronic Data Processing Systems:
- To ensure that the hotel’s computer systems and their software are fully utilized, well safeguarded and properly maintained.
- To implement future changes/additions to the electronic data processing systems of the hotel.
- To ensure that there are, at all times, proper procedures and controls for the guest cashiers and other cashiers in the hotel, notwithstanding the fact that these areas are not the direct responsibility of the controller.
- To ensure proper controls for F&B cashiers.
Purchasing, Receiving and Stores:
- To ensure that there are, at all times, proper procedures and controls for purchasing, receiving, stores and requisitioning.
- To ensure that physical inventories of all supplies are being taken on a monthly basis and of all operating equipment on a quarterly basis.
Credit and Collection:
- To ensure that the hotel complies with the established credit and collection procedures, with particular attention to front office, group and meetings/banqueting processes.
- To check and approve expenditures (via purchase requests, expenditure approval forms and purchase orders) in accordance with established procedures.
- To approve and sign payments in accordance with established procedures.
- To ensure that bank account statements are checked on a daily basis.
- To ensure that bank accounts are reconciled each month.
- To ensure that all revenue due to the hotel is properly accounted for and reconciled.
- To ensure that all receivables are collected within the hotel’s credit periods.
- To ensure that payments are made for all goods and services on a timely basis.
- To ensure that all payments are adequately supported by documentation, properly coded and properly authorized.
- To ensure that suppliers’ accounts are reconciled to the hotel’s records on a regular basis.
- To ensure that payments are properly calculated, authorized and paid on a timely basis to employees.
- To ensure returns, declarations and administration are properly handled concerning Inland Revenue, Pension Trustees and other relevant bodies.
- To ensure that proper deductions are made at all times for PAYE, NI, pensions and other relevant items.
- To ensure that proper records are kept for all inventory items.
- To ensure that payments and returns are made accurately and on a timely basis to Customs and Excise in respect of value added tax.
- To ensure that compliance is continuous and that refunds are appropriately kept for inspection by external bodies.
- To ensure that all revenue and expenditure are properly recorded in the general ledger.
- To ensure that all balances are reconciled on a regular basis.
- To ensure that disbursements made by the General Cashier are properly authorized and adequately supported by documentation.
- To ensure that the float of the General Cashier is verified daily.
- To keep and safeguard the hotel’s contracts and agreements.
- To liaise with internal and external auditors in compliance with the company’s requirements.
- To assist in the renewal of insurances.
- To administer insurance claims.
- To provide information required for the preparation of corporation tax computation.
- To assist in the preparation of the year end statutory accounts.
Other Areas of Responsibility
- Banks, borrowings and loans
- Insurance renewals
- Property taxes
- Rental of space
- Auditors (external and internal)
- Corporation tax
- Company secretarial matters
- Must be a chartered accountant
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in related industry
- Prior experience with invoicing and customer relationship management
- Good knowledge in use of hotel accounting/billing software.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online